Last Modified: September 10, 2021
Nuix Limited, and its subsidiary companies ("Nuix"), respect your privacy and are committed to protecting your personal data. In this privacy notice, we describe how we collect, use, and disclose information that we obtain through your use of our websites (https://www.nuix.com, https://support.nuix.com, https://community.nuix.com and other websites that post this privacy notice) and from the use of Nuix portals that make reference to this notice (collectively, the “websites”) or otherwise in conducting business or seeking to conduct business with you or your employer and how we use and disclose that information. For purposes of this privacy notice, the terms “user”, “customer”, “vendor”, “you” and “your” are meant to refer to the individuals about whom we may collect data.
For US users only: By visiting the websites, you agree that your personal data will be handled as described in this privacy notice. Your use of our websites, and any dispute over privacy, is subject to this privacy notice and our Website Terms of Service, including its applicable limitations on damages and the resolution of disputes. Our Website Terms of Service are incorporated by reference into this privacy notice.
This privacy notice is provided in a layered format so you can click through to the specific areas set out below.
- IMPORTANT INFORMATION AND WHO WE ARE.
- THE INFORMATION WE COLLECT ABOUT YOU.
- USE OF PERSONAL DATA.
- DISCLOSURE OF PERSONAL DATA.
- COOKIES AND OTHER TRACKING MECHANISMS.
- EU-U.S. AND SWISS-U.S. PRIVACY SHIELD.
- USER-GENERATED CONTENT.
- MARKETING EMAILS.
- ACCESS TO MY PERSONAL INFORMATION.
- RETENTION OF YOUR PERSONAL DATA.
- EXTERNAL LINKS.
- DISPUTE RESOLUTION.
- CHANGES TO THIS NOTICE.
- ADDITIONAL GDPR INFORMATION.
1. Important information and who we are.
Nuix is made up of different legal entities, so when we mention "Nuix", "we", "us" or "our" in this privacy notice, we are referring to the relevant company in the Nuix company group that is responsible for processing your data.
If you are located in:
- the EU (except the UK), the Middle East, or Africa, Nuix means Nuix Ireland Limited.
- the UK, Nuix means Nuix UK Technology Ltd.
- Australia, NZ, or Asia the Nuix means Nuix.
- North, Central, or South America, Nuix means Nuix North America Inc.
The Nuix Legal Department is responsible for overseeing questions in relation to this privacy notice. If you have any questions about this privacy notice, including any requests to exercise any rights that may be afforded to you, please contact the Legal Department at email@example.com or by using the details set out below:
In the EEA or UK by writing to us at:
Nuix Ireland Limited
Attention: Legal Department
4700 Airport Business Park, Cork Airport
County Cork T12 XE1E, Ireland
In Australia by writing to us at:
Attention: Legal Department
Level 27, 1 Market Street
Sydney, NSW 2000
In the United States, or anywhere else not mentioned here, by writing to us at:
Nuix North America Inc.
Attention: Legal Department
Suite 300, 13755 Sunrise Valley Drive
Herndon, VA 20171
2. The Information We Collect About You.
We collect information about you directly from you and from other sources, as well as automatically through your use of our websites. The type of information that we collect from you depends on your interaction with our websites.
Information We Collect Automatically:
When you visit our websites and accept cookies, our server automatically collects certain browser or device-generated information, which may in some cases constitute personal data, including but not limited to:
- your domain;
- your IP address;
- your date, time, and duration of your visit;
- your browser type;
- your operating system;
- your page visits;
- information from third parties;
- other information about your computer or device;
- Internet traffic.
We may combine this information with other information that we have collected about you, including, where applicable, your user name, name, and other personal data. Please see the section “Cookies and Other Tracking Mechanisms” below for more information.
Information You Provide
In order to access or use certain portions of the websites or enjoy the full functionality of the websites, or otherwise in conducting business with us or seeking to conduct business with us, you may be prompted to provide certain personal data to us in the following ways:
- by logging in to our websites;
- by registering for an account with us;
- by filling in forms (for example, a 'Contact us', or ‘Request a Demo’ form) on our website or at a trade show or anywhere else we conduct business;
- by downloading documentation from our website;
- by subscribing to newsletters or other communications;
- by corresponding with us by phone, e-mail or otherwise using our contact details;
- by registering or participating in Nuix online trainings, webcasts, webinars or seminars/conferences;
- by applying for employment with us; or
- by submitting questions or comments to us or requesting any other information from us.
Typically, the personal data you give us may include name, business affiliation, business address, telephone number, and email address, and any personal details that you choose to provide or that are required to resolve any inquiries or complaints. We will also collect a username and password, and in some cases, a registration code, if you register for an account with us. If you apply for a job with us, we will collect your name, email, phone number, location, resume, and other information you choose to provide, such as your gender, ethnicity, or disability status, and we will share that information with service providers who assist us in processing job applications, including LinkedIn.
Personal data may also be required to enter into a contract with you or to perform a contract with you (such as to provide services at your request), and failure to provide any information may result in our inability to provide requested services or products.
Information From Other Sources
We may receive information about you from our service providers, or from our business partners instructed to collect information on our behalf. For example, if you register for one of our online training sessions, we may receive your job title, email address, and the method by which you paid from our service provider who processes registrations for our training sessions.
We also work with other entities (including, for example, sub-contractors in technical, payment, and delivery services, advertising networks, analytics providers, and search information providers) and may receive information about you from them. These third parties include but are not limited to: Pardot, BrightTalk, DiscoverOrg, FSTech, Google, IncNet, Integrate.com, LinkedIn, Meltwater, SurveyMonkey, TechTarget, True Influence, Unbounce, VLG Marketing. For more information, see the section “Cookies and Other Tracking Mechanisms” below.
3. Use of Personal Data.
The following is an overview of our purposes for using your personal data. Additional details on how we process your personal data may be provided to you in a separate notice or contract. All processing and use of your personal data are justified by a "condition" for processing, as more fully described below:
- The processing is necessary to perform a contract with you or take steps to enter into a contract at your request, such as: to provide you with any services or products you have contracted for; fulfill an order; to provide product information you have requested; to provide you with other documentation or communications that you have requested; to process and complete transactions involving the website, and more generally transactions involving Nuix's products and services; administer and manage the performance of purchase or sales agreements with our suppliers and customers; to provide after-sales support; correspond with users to resolve your queries or complaints.
- The processing is in our legitimate interests, which are not overridden by your interests and fundamental rights. Our legitimate interests are to use supplier, vendor, customer and website user data to conduct and develop our business activities with them and with others while limiting the use of their personal data to purposes that support the conduct and development of our business, such as: to evaluate transactions involving the website, and more generally transactions involving Nuix's products and services; to operate, evaluate, maintain, improve and develop the website (including by monitoring and analysing trends, access to, and use of the website for advertising and marketing); to evaluate, improve and develop our products and services generally; to customize our website to users' needs; to engage you about events, promotions, the website and Nuix's products and services; to send you marketing communications, where it is lawful for us to do so; to assist us in advertising our services on other websites and to assist us in evaluating the success of our advertising campaigns in various platforms; to share aggregate or de-identified information about users with other entities for marketing, advertising, research or similar purposes; to evaluate or implement the potential or actual sale of part or all of our company, including our securities or assets, or those of any affiliated company, or as part of a bankruptcy proceeding, in which case personal data held by us about our users may be one of the subject or transferred assets; to protect and ensure the safety of the website, Nuix confidential and proprietary information, and Nuix employees; to manage, prevent, and protect against and investigate fraud, risk exposure, claims, harm, loss and other liabilities, and suspected or actual illegal activities, including but not limited to violation of our contract terms or laws or regulations.
- The processing is necessary for us to comply with a relevant legal obligation, such as: to keep accounting records; to comply with a judicial proceeding, court order, or other legal processes, such as in response to a court order or a subpoena.
- You have consented to the processing: such as: to sending you marketing information, where your consent is required by law.
4. Disclosure of Personal Data.
We may share your personal data as follows:
- Affiliates. Nuix will share personal data with our affiliated companies for the purposes described above.
- Service Providers. We may also appoint service providers (who will operate under our instructions) to assist us in providing information, products, or services to you, in conducting and managing our business, in managing and improving our products, services, or website, or in processing your application for a job with us.
- To Protect Us and Others. We will share your personal data if we believe it is reasonably necessary to prevent harm or loss, or if we believe that the disclosure will further an investigation of suspected or actual illegal activities.
- In response to Legal Process. We also may disclose the information we collect from you in order to comply with the law, a judicial proceeding, a court order, or other legal processes, such as in response to a court order or a subpoena.
- Business Transfers. We also may share your personal data with other entities in connection with the potential or actual sale of part or all of our company, including our securities or assets, or those of any affiliated company, or as part of a bankruptcy proceeding, in which case personal data held by us about our users may be one of the subject or transferred assets.
- Aggregate or De-Identified Information. We may share aggregate or de-identified information about users with other entities for marketing, advertising, research, or similar purposes.
We are also subject to the investigatory and enforcement powers of the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). We may be required to disclose personal information that we handle under the EU-US or Swiss-US Privacy Shield in response to lawful requests by public authorities, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements.
If you are an EU resident and your personal data is transferred outside the EU to other Nuix affiliates or to service providers, we will take steps to ensure that your personal data receives the same level of protection as if it remained within the EU, including by entering into data transfer agreements using the European Commission approved Standard Contractual Clauses. For transfers of personal data among Nuix affiliates we have put in place European Commission-approved Standard Contractual Clauses. The list of all the countries to which your personal data is transferred is set forth here: United States, Australia, and the Philippines. Be advised that none of these countries has received a decision from the European Commission determining that its laws provide adequate protection for personal data. You have a right to obtain details of the mechanism under which your personal data is transferred outside of the EU by contacting Privacy@nuix.com.
If you are located in Australia, your personal data may be transferred to Germany, Ireland, Japan, the Philippines, Singapore, the United Kingdom, the United States, and the United Arab Emirates.
Nuix reserves the right to share any information that you provide that is not deemed personal data and is not otherwise subject to contractual restrictions.
5. Cookies and other Tracking Mechanisms.
A cookie is a small file of letters and numbers that we put on your computer for certain purposes. These cookies allow us to distinguish you from other users of our websites, which helps us to provide you with a good experience when you browse our websites and also allows us to improve our websites. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but if you prefer, you can edit your browser options to block them in the future. The Help portion of the toolbar on most browsers will tell you how to prevent your computer from accepting new cookies, how to have the browser notify you when you receive a new cookie, or how to disable cookies altogether.
Currently, our systems do not recognize browser “do-not-track” requests. You may, however, disable certain tracking as discussed above (e.g., by disabling cookies).
Advertising and Analytics
We use automated devices and applications, such as Google Analytics, to evaluate the usage of our websites. In addition, we and our service providers may use the information that we collect about you to help us and our service providers identify other devices that you use (e.g., a mobile phone, tablet, other computer) and to serve targeted advertising on your devices and send you emails. We may work with advertisers, including network advertisers, sponsors, and/or traffic measurement services (“Ad Networks”) who use tracking mechanisms to collect information about you in order to provide you with more relevant ads and content on our websites and other websites, evaluate the success of such ads and content, and manage our advertising on unaffiliated websites, mobile apps, and online services.
6. EU-U.S. and Swiss-U.S. Privacy Shield.
By the decision of July 16, 2020, the Court of Justice of the European Union determined that the EU-U.S. Privacy Shield Framework does not provide adequate protection for personal data that is subject to the EU General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”). On September 8, 2020, the Swiss Federal Data Protection and Information Commissioner announced that it no longer considers that the Swiss-U.S. Privacy Shield is adequate to transfer personal data from Switzerland to the U.S. Nuix U.S. continues to certify to the Privacy Shield Framework, but relies on other mechanisms described in this privacy notice to transfer personal data from the European Union, the United Kingdom, and Switzerland to the U.S.
Nuix North America Inc. and Nuix USG Inc. (collectively, “Nuix U.S.”) comply with the EU-U.S. Privacy Shield Framework and the Swiss-U.S. Privacy Shield Framework(s) (Privacy Shield) as set forth by the U.S. Department of Commerce regarding the collection, use, and retention of personal information transferred from the European Union and the United Kingdom and Switzerland to the United States in reliance on Privacy Shield. Nuix U.S. has certified to the Department of Commerce that it adheres to the Privacy Shield Principles with respect to such information. If there is any conflict between the terms in this privacy notice, other than the section “Additional GDPR Information” below, and the Privacy Shield Principles, the Privacy Shield Principles shall govern. To learn more about the Privacy Shield program, and to view our certification, please visit https://www.privacyshield.gov.
As described in the “Disclosure of Personal Data” section above, we transfer personal data from the European Union and the United Kingdom, and Switzerland to our affiliates and other entities outside those countries. We remain responsible for the personal data we receive and transfer onward under Privacy Shield.
In compliance with the Privacy Shield Principles, Nuix U.S. commits to resolving complaints about your privacy and our collection or use of your personal data. Data subjects with inquiries or complaints regarding this privacy notice should first contact Nuix U.S. at: Privacy@nuix.com.
Under certain conditions, more fully described on the Privacy Shield website here https://www.privacyshield.gov/article?id=How-to-Submit-a-Complaint, you may be entitled to invoke binding arbitration when other dispute resolution procedures have been exhausted.
Nuix U.S. commits to cooperate with EU and UK data protection authorities (DPAs) and the Swiss Federal Data Protection and Information Commissioner (FDPIC) and comply with the advice given by such authorities with regard to human resources data transferred from the EU, the UK, and Switzerland in the context of the employment relationship.
Nuix U.S. will renew its Privacy Shield certifications annually unless it subsequently determines that it no longer needs such certification or if it employs a different adequacy mechanism.
Prior to the re-certification, Nuix U.S. will conduct an in-house verification to ensure that its attestations and assertions with regard to its treatment of personal data is accurate and that the company has appropriately implemented these practices.
7. User-Generated Content.
We invite you to post content on certain pages of our websites that require a log-in, including your comments, and any other information that you would like to be available. If you post content to our websites, all of the information that you post will be available to registered users of those pages on our websites. If you post your own content on our websites, your posting may become public and we cannot prevent that information from being used in a manner that may violate this privacy notice, the law, or your personal privacy.
Our websites are not for use by children under the age of 18 years and Nuix does not knowingly collect, store, share, or use the personal data of children under 18 years. If you are under the age of 18 years, please do not provide any personal data, even if prompted by the websites to do so. If you are under the age of 18 years and you have provided personal data, please ask your parent(s) or guardian(s) to notify Nuix and Nuix will delete all such personal data.
9. Marketing emails.
Where lawful to do so, and subject to your consent where required, we may communicate with you by email to tell you about our products and services. If you wish to opt out of receiving marketing communications, please use the 'unsubscribe' link provided in our emails, or otherwise contact us directly and we will stop sending you marketing communications. If you opt out of marketing emails from us, we may still send you e-mails about your account or any services you have requested or received from us.
10. Access To My Personal Information.
You may modify personal data that you have submitted to certain pages of our websites that require authentication by logging into your account and updating your information. Please note that copies of information that you have updated, modified, or deleted may remain viewable in cached and archived pages of the websites for a period of time.
Nuix aims to safeguard and protect your personal data from unauthorized access, improper use or disclosure, unauthorized modification or unlawful destruction, or accidental loss, and Nuix utilizes and maintains certain reasonable processes, systems, and technologies to do so. However, you acknowledge that no transmission over the Internet is completely secure or error-free and that these processes, systems, and technologies utilized and maintained by Nuix are subject to compromise. Accordingly, we cannot be held responsible for unauthorized or unintended access that is beyond our control.
12. Retention of Your Personal Data.
We apply a general rule of keeping personal data only for as long as required to fulfill the purposes for which it was collected. In general, we retain your personal data for a period of time corresponding to a statute of limitation, for example, to maintain an accurate record of your dealings with us.
However, in some circumstances, we may retain personal data for other periods of time, for instance where we are required to do so in accordance with legal, tax, and accounting requirements, or if required to do so by a legal process, legal authority, or other governmental entity having authority to make the request, for so long as required.
13. External Links.
The website may contain links to other entities’ sites. Since Nuix does not control nor is responsible for the privacy practices of those websites, we encourage you to review the privacy policies of those sites.
14. Dispute Resolution.
In compliance with the Privacy Shield Principles, Nuix commits to promptly resolve complaints about privacy and our collection or use of personal data Individuals with questions or concerns about the use of their personal data should contact us at: Privacy@nuix.com and identify the company or other organization with whom they are affiliated or for whom their data was collected, if the collection was for a Nuix customer.
If you have an unresolved privacy or data use concern that we have not addressed satisfactorily, please contact our U.S.-based third-party dispute resolution provider (free of charge) at https://feedback-form.truste.com/watchdog/request.
In Australia, you may contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner at www.oaic.gov.au for further information if you are not satisfied with the way we have handled a privacy complaint.
15. Changes to this Notice.
Any changes or updates we may make to this notice will be posted on this page. We will endeavor to notify you in advance of any changes to this notice that are material by highlighting the changes on the websites. For other changes, please check back frequently to see any updates or changes to this notice.
16. Additional GDPR Information
For individuals located in the EEA or UK, Nuix Limited is the data controller, as that term is defined under the GDPR.
The following information describes how we collect and use data that is subject to GDPR, in addition to the information in the remainder of this privacy notice.
Under GDPR, you may have the following rights, subject to conditions set forth in applicable law:
- Request access to your personal data (commonly known as a "data subject access request"). This enables you to receive a copy of the personal data we hold about you and to check that we are lawfully processing it.
- Request correction of the personal data that we hold about you. This enables you to have any incomplete or inaccurate data we hold about you corrected, though we may need to verify the accuracy of the new data you provide to us.
- Request the erasure of your personal data. This enables you to ask us to delete or remove personal data where there is no good reason for us continuing to process it. You also have the right to ask us to delete or remove your personal data where you have successfully exercised your right to object to processing (see below), where we may have processed your information unlawfully, or where we are required to erase your personal data to comply with local law. Note, however, that we may not always be able to comply with your request of erasure for specific legal reasons that will be notified to you, if applicable, at the time of your request.
Object to processing of your personal data where we are relying on our legitimate interests (or those of a third party) to justify our processing, and there is something about your particular situation which makes you want to object to processing on this ground as you feel it impacts on your fundamental rights and freedoms. You also have the right to object where we are processing your personal data for direct marketing purposes. In some cases, we may demonstrate that we have compelling legitimate grounds to process your information which override your rights and freedoms.
- Request restriction of processing of your personal data. This enables you to ask us to suspend the processing of your personal data in the following scenarios: (a) if you want us to establish the data's accuracy; (b) where our use of the data is unlawful but you do not want us to erase it; (c) where you need us to hold the data even if we no longer require it as you need it to establish, exercise or defend legal claims; or (d) you have objected to our use of your data but we need to verify whether we have overriding legitimate grounds to use it.
- Request the transfer of your personal data (“data portability”) to you or to a third party. We will provide to you, or a third party you have chosen, your personal data in a structured, commonly used, machine-readable format. Note that this right only applies to automated information which you initially provided consent for us to use or where we used the information to perform a contract with you.
- Withdraw consent at any time where we are relying on consent to process your personal data. However, this will not affect the lawfulness of any processing carried out before you withdraw your consent. If you withdraw your consent, we may not be able to provide certain products or services to you. We will advise you if this is the case at the time you withdraw your consent.
- You also have the right to lodge a complaint with the data protection supervisory authority of your habitual residence, place of work or place of alleged infringement, if you consider that the processing of your personal data infringes applicable law.
How to Contact Us
To exercise any of your rights (other than the right to lodge a complaint), you can contact us at Privacy@nuix.com. You may also contact EEA representative Nuix Ireland Limited and our UK representative Nuix UK Technology Ltd. at Privacy@nuix.com.